I tried this dish after spying it on the menu of a casual Italian restaurant menu in our area. It was listed as a daily special for a couple of months and I loved this dish so much that I ordered it every time we frequented that establishment. Unfortunately, they finally took it off the menu so I decided I’d make it myself at home. Now I tried a couple of times before I got it exactly right, but this recipe is pretty close to the dish I enjoyed. I believe the sauce served at the restaurant had some cream in it, but I found you really didn’t need it, and therefore I left it out. If you prefer, you could fry your chicken on the stove top, but I personally prefer baking it in the oven. If you do not want to take the time to roast your own peppers, you could buy a jar of roasted peppers. Just drain the peppers first and pat dry before using.
To easily roast your peppers, simply core, remove seeds and membranes, and cut into four pieces lengthwise. Place the pepper slices skin side up on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and place under a preheated broiler. Broil until the skin is blistered and blackened and then place in a plastic bag until cool. Once cooled, the skin will slide right off! I like my sauce fairly smooth, but if you prefer a chunkier sauce just do not puree it so much.
Deborah Mele Revised 2021
For The Chicken:
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (About 6 Ounces Each)
- 2 Cups Homemade Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg Mixed with 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 1/2 Cup All-purpose Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Olive Oil Spray
For The Pepper Sauce:
- 2 Red Peppers, Roasted
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Large Garlic Clove, Peeled
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 Tablspoons Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Pinch Red Chili Flakes
- To make the pepper sauce, place all of the ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. If too thick, drizzle in a little additional olive oil.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Trim your chicken breasts of any fat and pound to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Mix the flour with some salt and pepper and place in a plastic bag.
- Add the breasts one at a time into the flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Beat the egg with the milk in a shallow bowl.
- Mix together the cheese and breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.
- Taking one chicken breast at a time, first coat with the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs pressing to help the crumbs adhere.
- Once all four breasts are coated, refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Coat the baking sheet with the olive oil, and place the chicken breasts on top.
- Use olive oil spray to lightly coat top of the breasts and then bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn the breasts over, and then bake an additional 10 minutes or until they are cooked through and golden brown.
- Serve the chicken with a small cup of sauce for dipping.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 826Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 175mgSodium: 1583mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 58g