Suzette Gresham’s Scallop Crudo with Carrot Vinaigrette and Marcona Almond
Treat your friends and family to this beautiful and delectable dish from the menu of 2 Michelin-starred Acquerello in San Francisco this festive season. With few ingredients and simple steps, this can be whipped up quickly and is sure to impress!
“The photo of the scallops is beautiful. It is meant to inspire and not restrict. It seemed to be one of the most do-able of our recipes and is open to interpretation. The scallops create a clean canvas with which to pair your favorite flavors. The carrots are surprising as a colorful but underrepresented vegetable in an elegant setting. It just shows you with a little mindfulness, what you can create. You don’t need to have exotic ingredients to create something delicious, as long as you are creative,” says Suzette.
For the Scallops
- Size 16/20’s scallops
- Olive oil
- Lemon zest
- Place scallops, olive oil, lemon zest and salt in vac bag and vacuum seal.
- Place vacuum-sealed scallops in a circulated water bath at 54°C for 25mins.
- After cooked, ice down until 33°C and then slice scallops.
For the Carrot Vinaigrette
- 500ml fresh carrot juice
- 15ml apple cider vinaigrette
- .2% xanthan gum
- salt to taste
- Blend carrot juice in vita-mix with apple cider vinaigrette and then add xanthan gum.
- Once homogenized, season to taste.
For the Red Pepper Gel
- 6 large bell peppers, juiced
- 2 Tien Tsin chilies
- chili flakes
- Gellan gum 1%
- Xanthan gum .02%
- salt to taste
- Bring bell pepper juice and Tien Tsin chilies to boil in small pot, turn off heat, cover and let steep for 10 mins.
- Strain out chilies with fine mesh strainer.
- Weigh reserved juice in grams. Add 1% gellan gum and bring to boil to activate.
- Cool until set in metal 3rd pan.
- Once set blend gel in vita-mix with a small pinch of chili flakes. If need, add water to get desired consistency. Add Xanthan gum just to keep gel from weeping.
- Pass gel through fine mesh strainer to remove chili flake particles.
- Vac to 100% in Cryovac machine in metal 6pan to remove suspended air and brighten color.
For the Carrot ‘Flowers’
- Carrot tips 3in
- Frying oil
- Slice carrot tips into rounds on mini mandolin.
- Bring fry oil up to 250°F, then add sliced carrots.
- Fry until carrots curl up. Drain carrot flowers off onto paper towels and place in dehydrator for 2 hours to crisp up.
- Pulsed Marcona Almonds
- High quality finishing oil to drizzle
- Micro greens/herbs
Recipe courtesy of Suzette Gresham of 2 Michelin-starred Acquerello.